Sunday, January 1, 2012

Joseph E McQuade Story USS GAMBIER BAY 74 Sinking 1944

Taffy 3: The Dragons of Samar - YouTube

I First Boarder The USS Gambier Bay 73 September 1943 leaving my wife Joan behind to destination in the Pacific Ocean only God had knowledge.
At 23 it felt like a life time away till i would see land once more.They kept us busy preparing for anything to come our way.
The Morning of October 25,1944 we were awaken to the barrage of 8" shells
from the Japanese heavy cruisers.
First it was the forward engine to be taken out slowing the Gambier Bay although the battle was only hours it felt like days.The rear engine was taken out.
Somewhere around 9:00Am The Ship Started Listing Dead in the Water
when the order came down to Vacate before the ship had sunk.
Jumping Starboard my friend Fred Yeoman and I hit the water.With No Raft We Swam & Swam searching anything to climb aboard.Soon enough a giant wave reached me high enough to locate a floating raft loaded with wounded on the
wooden floor So I grabbed on to a rope and held fast 3 nights and 4 days of no food or water till finally rescued climbing the mesh latter side the Ship.Last thing I remember is the Captain saying Hot Meal or Bunk.To this day I don't remember
what my answer was!
I Returned Home For A Week with My Wife Joan for Christmas Then Stationed in San Francisco till My Discharge November 1945
I'll Never Forget That Day I Lost Several Fellow Sailors and Pilots Friends.
Today I Am 91 and going strong with wife Joan C. Daughters Jo Ann,Mary, Sons Ron,Richard,Joe Jr.Past But Not Forgotten William and Michael.11 Grand Children 15 Great Grand Children and "1" Great-Great Grand Daughter" Aubrey".
 When My Son-In-Law Said I Have A Story That Needs To Be Told as Col.Oliver North Would Say.
So My Story Written By Harold Herrington The One,The Only {"Dinkiedow"]!And I Approved, AM3 Joseph E. McQuade Sr.
Joseph E. McQuade Gambier Bay 74    Life's A Bitch And Then You Die.But Now I'd Live On In Webville For Internity,Anchors Away!

No comments: